Friday, January 1, 2010

ready

I am so ready to be home. D and I have been away from home for 2 weeks! (Unfortunately I just realized TODAY that I did not stop the mail or have someone pick it up.... big oops...and I think our outdoor Christmas lights are still plugged in...and have been for 2 weeks....bigger oops. live and learn)

We have had a wonderful time traveling and visiting with family and friends, but there just comes a time when you want to sleep in your own bed, sit on your own couch, and be in your own space. You know?

Tomorrow we are packing up and heading back home.

I think it is amazing that my parents house and hometown does not feel like home to me anymore. It feels familiar and comforting, but I have my own home now. Looking back I remember a time when I never thought I'd feel this way. After our wedding D and my apartment felt empty and far from home. I ached for familiarity and comfort. I missed the supportive and social aspects of our family/friends.

Now I feel blessed to have 2 supportive and social networks. When I was sick I had more requests to make me dinner and visit than I can count....from new friends....in our new hometown....I consider those friends as a type of misplaced family. We are all in the Flag City because of work. We are all away from our families and friends, however, amazingly so, we have quickly created strong friendships and a support system.

I love the life and home D and I have created away from our families. Don't get me wrong, I miss being close to my parents and spending time with D's family, but it's nice that we've made a new "family of friends" on our own.

Day 3 of our NYC Trip should be up by Monday!! Have a restful weekend.

-h

No comments: