Wednesday, February 15, 2012

some like it hot

My sweet husband took my sleepy, death warmed over, snotty, self out to dinner last night. I have been wanting sushi forever and seeing as how we really don't have much food in the house, it made sense to go out. ....literally we have stale bread and leftovers from 8 days ago.

Anyway, we made our way across town. I told D I wanted to go somewhere that was dimly lit, not for the romantic factor but the "I'm wearing a sports bra under this sweat shirt and my face is chapped" factor. So we went to my favorite Asian/sushi bar place in a strip mall.

D was not craving sushi nearly as much as I so he ordered off the regular menu. Because he is a gentleman and pregnant women can be demanding he asked me what looked good and then promptly ordered it while I selected my sushi (which is basically a spicy California roll these days and when I'm feeling wild a shrimp tempera roll woo hoo!). I off handedly mentioned that I heard the spicy chicken was good. D has recently been into spicy food and I can't taste much of anything so even though it had 2 chili's next to it's title on the menu I insisted we try it.

: )

Our food showed up and I began to portion myself some rice and this chicken dish. I could tell that it was hot by the fact that my mouth reacted to it but I honestly could not taste the food or determine the heat. D sat across the table watching...

D- "I can't believe you are eating that, I've never seen you eat something so spicy in all the years we've known each other"

 H-"Well I like buffalo chicken dip with lots of Red Hot in it"
D- "No, this is like habanero peppers hot, like put you in labor spicy"

H- "hmmm I will have to keep that in mind for May..."

I really enjoyed my dinner and mercifully did not have any upset by the hot n spicy food. In fact, as we were leaving I noted that I have been craving spicy food since I've been pregnant. Spicy chicken sandwiches from Wendy's during the first trimester. Buffalo chicken dip and spicy sushi during the second trimester. As we enter the third trimester (in 2 weeks!! ah!!) who knows what I will be eating! Henry must like it hot!

-h

p.s. On a mushy, day after Valentines note...I am so lucky that D is the man and husband that he is. He  literally waits on me hand and foot, sets his alarm to check on or stay up with me in the middle of the night, and allows me to change my mind 20 times about an off-white paint color without any (much) comment. love, love, love you D!

No comments: