Thursday, February 10, 2011

cleanin' house

If I were to be completely honest, I would be mortified if I had unannounced guests come to visit our house right now.

Truth: I am not disciplined enough to keep my house presentable, neat, and tidy on a regular basis. I am good at playing catch up once it's really bad, but day to day, we live with disorder.

So in an effort to "do better" I have come up with a new mantra....

work smarter, not harder

For example, in a 45 min time frame I can wash a load of laundry, dry a load of laundry, clean a sink full of dishes, and jog 3 miles. How!? I switch over the wet laundry to the dryer, start the dryer, get a new load of clothes goin' in the washer, load/start the dish washer, and lace up my shoes. So that in the time it takes me to exercise, I am accomplishing multiple tasks. Simple enough.

Another smarter, not harder tactic I'm employed is placing a small empty tote bag by the garage door. It's my return's or errand running bag. When I've got something I need to return to the store I drop it and the matching receipt in the tote bag. I let the bag accumulate multiple items and then I grab it to run errands.

Other things that make my life simpler include keeping trash bags, a roll of paper towels, and cleaning supplies upstairs, on the main level, and in the basement. This saves me from running around when I need to clean the bathrooms, etc.

Ok, so this is not rocket science....any other techniques or tactics that you use to work smarter, not harder?

I'd love to hear!

-H

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Stay IN ONE ROOM. I get so distracted carrying stuff from one place to the next. I always forget to go back to where I started. So don't lose focus, I guess. Focus on one room at a time.

Also, set a timer and work as fast and hard as you can for 15 minutes. It's surprising what all you can accomplish.