Tuesday, October 19, 2010

pumpkin party coutdown: 5 days

Truth: As much as I love entertaining...sometimes...most of the time....all of the time it stresses me out. I fuss and worry about every detail. I clean, clean, clean and attempt to stage my house like a Pottery Barn catalog. I just don't let myself enjoy the party because I want everything to be perfect.

This year at the D/H household I've had a change of heart about my entertaining perfectionism. Do I want my house to feel warm and inviting? yes. Do I want my house to look perfectly staged and have my guests feel uncomfortable moving a pillow or playing cards around a just, right, perfect centerpiece? no.

Truth be told, if you are invited to our home you are friends AND I don't need to impress friends.

I did not come by this thought process easily. I have so much pride attached to my ability to be a homemaker. I want my home to be beautiful, my food the most delicious, and my parties? the best.

uh...that's pride ladies and gentlemen...and not the good kind.

So, this year for our pumpkin party (which is slated to be the biggest party yet) I am letting my hair down. I am not cooking gourmet food. I am cooking easy, comforting, tummy warming chili. I am not stressing about the perfection of my home. This house is where we live and it looks like people live here. Decorations will be simple and festive, not over the top and the impressive.

Entertaining is about welcoming people into your home and sharing time with them. It is not about impressing your guests. While I want all of you to enjoy yourselves, immensely, I want it to be because you spent time with good friends, laughed, and enjoyed some yummy food...not because I am the hostess with the mostess.

Do you know what I mean?

Pride, aside, I think this will be the best pumpkin party D and I have thrown only because I will not be stressing my husband out with my stress about entertaining. ha!

-h

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

so happy you've come to this conclusion :) just don't forget the beer, you know? ;)