Monday, June 22, 2009

Honey, I'm Home!

Whew, after an awesome long weekend in Chicago D & I are home. We had and incredible time.

Here's a quick-long run down of our trip:

Friday- D2/H2 picked us up right around 9am and we were on the road. I was a bit antsy about the car ride. I am not a good car rider. I either fall immediately asleep or want to stop at every reststop along the way-not out of the need to rest or use the bathroom but out of boredom. However, riding in the car with friends provides endlessly opportunities for chatting, i-pod sing alongs, and general entertainment. By the time we arrived in Chicago I was pumped.

We stopped into the hotel to check-in and then headed to Millennium Park (which was only 1.5 blocks away. fabulous.) I had such a great time walking around and taking pictures. The sculptures are so cool. My very favorite part of the park is the water fountain with faces projected onto it..... the faces change every 10mins or so, they move, and they squirt water out of their mouths at you! Now, I know this sounds strange but it is super fun.



After Millenium Park we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner and Second City. I cannot say enough about the wonderful evening we had. We ate at a local Mexcian restaurant that made guacamole table side and margaritas from fresh squeezed lime juice. yum! It one of the nicest dinners D and I have enjoyed in a while.










Then we headed to Second City, which was NEXT DOOR! I was unsure of this comedy show. I don't care for overly crude comedy or the "f word" every other sentence. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Second City was amazing! I would absolutely recommend this show. D laughed until he cried. weeping. really. no kidding. : )
Saturday- We hit the ground running (in a good way!) After a breakfast of Dunkin' Donuts, which seems to be incredibly popular in Chicago because we passed at least 7 from our hotel to the train, we headed to the Sears Tower. The 103rd floor was closed so we had to settle with the 99th floor. It did not disappoint. I was skeptical about all the pictures D was taking from the windows. Those did not disappoint either.


After we left Sears Tower, we walked along the river and stopped for a quick, authentic, Chicago hotdog. yum!

After lunch we set sails on Chicago's First Lady for a boat tour of the city. It was sizzling hot. D was kind enough to find me some sunscreen so I wouldn't fry for the next 90mins. (I still walked off the boat looking lobster-esque but the sunscreen helped). I very much enjoyed the tour. Seeing the city from the river was incredible and the teacher in me enjoyed the history.



Next it was nap/shower time. Then dinner at Cafe Ba Ba Reeba and Mary Poppins. Dinner was a unique experience. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba is a tapas restaurant, so each person orders 2-3 small appetizer-ish dishes and shares with the group. Man-o-man, do those tiny dishes fill you up! I left the restaurant stuffed. We walked off our dinner and headed to the show(in hopes I would not fall asleep from being too full. don't worry I didn't). I love love love live theater. Mary Poppins was upbeat and entertaining.

Sunday: Can you believe we have already fit so much into 2 days? Just wait....there's more! Sunday morning D and I woke up early and walked/half-asleep dragged ourselves to church. ; ) The service was nice and it felt good to be still and reflective for an hour. After church we packed up our room and checked out of the Hard Rock Hotel. We loaded up the car and headed out to the streets for one last whirl around the city.

We planned to head straight to Gino's pizza for lunch, but it was 11:20am and it was not open yet, so instead we played around in the shops along the Magnificent Mile. We certainly enjoyed the Hersey Store....

um....clearly it's lunch time....I'm done-zop.s. that's cranky me in front of the American Girl Store!!!

Here is my Gino in front of Gino's pizza. Lunch was tasty.

Finally we headed to Navy Pier, where D2 enjoyed the fountains and we rode the famous Ferris Wheel.

ok..that was seriously long. I hope you enjoyed our pictures. I know I did. Believe it or not I'm not a picture person, but H2 is and she insisted on taking pictures anywhere and everywhere, and I'm glad!! Thanks H2! : )

-H(1) haha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend! Thanks for the awesome company!!!

H2

Halley said...

yay! H2 should be your new screen name! : )

Anonymous said...

I like the fountain pic... I'm so creative!!!

D2