Thursday, July 16, 2009

Traverse City: Day 2

Saturday morning D and I rose from our drunken...I mean....food coma. D braved the continental breakfast, while I (braved the snooze button) opted not to look, touch, or even think about food.

The two of us got ourselves together and headed to Leelanau State Park. I will teach you how to pronounce Leelanau: Lee Lan NAW, like tylenol with a but starting with LEE instead of TY. get it? Now, let me provide you with examples of how not to pronunce Leelanau: leeleena (like hellena with a "l"), layluna, lalalala....if you can't catch my drift, I struggled with this pronunciation all weekend long.
Anyway, we made it to the park and headed to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse.

Our next big idea was to see the sand dunes. The park ranger directed us to the hiking trails, and told us it was just a "short" jaunt to the dunes....little did we know....



.....That 2.5 miles, a sundress, and a pair of $3 Old Navy flip flops later we'd arrive here:


Where we'd enjoy this:


We made it! yay!


It was still early in the day so, undeterred from our unplanned hike, we decided to drive along the lakeshore and catch a glimpse of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. We were driving along, enjoying he sights, minding our own business, when we saw this:



I literally gasped, and said, "D look at all those people!! They are climbing that MOUNTAIN of sand! They're crazy!!" So what does my dear husband do? Pulls into the parking lot. Up we go!


1st time I ploomped myself down out of exhaustion....


2nd time.....


Finally.... H E L P!!!

just kidding, that was fun!

ouch, check out my pink face! ha ha

Next we went straight back to our hotel for much needed showers and water. After we rested and cleaned up we went downtown for dinner and fireworks! D and I had a great dinner at a restaurant with a deck overlooking water. We drank....ate...and enjoyed the atmosphere. The fireworks were a great way to end a long day.

-h

No comments: