Tuesday, August 11, 2009

my garmin. my friend.

I have a sense of style, common sense, and a sense of humor.

What I do not have is a sense of direction. whatsoever. none. nill. nada. zero.

I can get lost anywhere (and frequently am)! After a year of marriage and 4+ years of dating, D still does not have the common sense not to trust me when I give him directions or insist that I know the right way.

Three years ago D and I travelled to Wisconsin to meet my family and volunteer at The Great Escape church camp. We planned. Got a trip-tik from AAA. Printed directions. Reviewed the directions. We left around 7pm and were scheduled to arrive around 12am. 12 am came and left. At 5am we found ourselves in a cornfield, without cell service, alone, almost out of gas in IOWA!!!

I take full responsibility for that disaster.... because I had been to the camp before, I insisted that I recognized the road and we should turn left and not right (as the directions stated.) My poor husband believed me and we ended up in the wrong state. why!? seriously?

Well, last year my parents bought me a Garmin GPS. oh happy day! I am a changed woman. The Garmin is always and forever with me. always. I am completely dependent. If I make a wrong turn, it re-routes me. If I can't find a Target, it finds it for me. It tells me when I should arrive, which side of the four lane highway to drive on, when to turn, etc.

How in the world did I get by without this gadget?

Last week I let D borrow the Garmin for a business trip.

bad idea.

I got lost 5 times on my way from Cincinnati to Indianapolis. I called my mother screaming and crying. The only thing I could see for miles was corn. I just knew I was going to die in that corn. alone. and no one would know where to find mine. no one. The trip took 3.5 hours instead of 2. I cried alot.

I now know that I will never be able to travel without my dear friend the Garmin. She (the Garmin voice) leads me and guides me. I need her. Thank heavens I have her back.

Now Garmin and I are off to Kohls and Target and Chik-fi-la....we are re-united and it feels so good!

-h

No comments: